Bushfire Assistance Information

Incident Control Centres

Orbost: 5161 1222

Bairnsdale: 5152 0600

Wellington Shire Council

East Gippsland Shire Council

Relief and recovery centres

  • Bushfire Recovery Centre – Service Street, Bairnsdale


Financial assistance

There is immediate financial support for those worst hit by bushfires.

The Disaster Recovery Payment provides $1000 for eligible adults and $800 for eligible children.

For those who have lost their income as a direct result of the bushfires, the Government will provide those eligible up to 13 weeks income support via the Disaster Recovery Allowance.

Payments are available now and eligibility can be checked at or by calling 180 22 66.

This telephone line can also help with replacement Medicare cards, child support and Centrelink support for those impacted by the bushfires.

The Emergency Re-establishment Payment is available to those whose principal place of residence is uninhabitiable for more than seven days because of an emergency.

It provides up to $42,250 per eligible household for clean-up, emergency accommodation, repairs, rebuilding and replacing some damaged contents.

It is available to individuals or families who do not have home or contents insurance.

If you think you may be eligible for a re-establishment payment, you can speak to the payment assistance helpline on 1800 961 054, they will take your details and the Department of Health and Human Services team will contact you.

Households can also contact their local council or visit a relief centre to discuss assistance options.

Primary producers who suffered property losses in bushfire affected East Gippsland will be eligible for grants up to $75,000.

Funding will be administered by the State Government and details of how to apply will be available soon.

For more information call 1800 900 090

Assistance is also available through the Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund.

People who have lost their homes this bushfire season can apply to the Australian Red Cross for an emergency grant of $5,000. Red Cross Emergency Grants are available to those who have lost their homes or are uninhabitable.

Get in touch through the Red Cross website:

Or call on 1800 733 276 or email

Financial advice and guidance

Rural Financial Counselling Service: 1300 045 747 (free and independent financial support to primary producers and non-agriculture related small businesses)

National Debt Hotline: 1800 007 007 (staffed by financial counsellors)

Insurance Council of Australia: 1800 734 621 or

Clothing and food

Volunteers at Lucknow Hall have been inundated with a range of household items to support fire victims.

Legal advice

Disaster Legal Help Victoria provide free information on any legal issues and options for ongoing assistance on 1800 113 432.

Replacing documents and identification

Department of Justice: 5215 8500

Passport replacement:

Australian Passport Information Service: 131 232

Road closures

Visit or download the VicTraffic app, follow @VicTraffic on Twitter or check the VicTraffic Facebook page @Vicroadsvictraffic

Agriculture and livestock

The Federal Government is providing grants of up to $75,000 for primary producers who are bushfire affected.

The funding is administered by the State Government and distributed by Rural Finance.

For more information and guidelines visit: : or call 1800 260 425

For all fodder requests or fodder donations, contact the Victorian Farmers Federation: 1300 882 833 or

For all inquiries related to stock loss, contact Agricultural Victoria: 1800 226 226

Burying deceased livestock: EPA VIC – 1300 372 842

Water and water tanks

People affected by the bushfires can access emergency untreated water supplies at:

Swifts Creek Recreation Reserve has a connection point for people to fill up a water cube. You need a male 50mm Camlock fitting and pump. Limit use to 1,000 litres each so resources are not depleted.

Goose Gully, 90 Balfours Rd, Lucknow has a standpipe. Use is capped at 4000 litres per person per day. 7am to 7pm daily.

For more information visit or phone (03) 5139 3100.

Eligible permanent residents in the declared bushfire affected areas of East Gippsland and some parts of Wellington Shire will be provided a tank water flush and top-up of 5,000 litres.

For more information on ash in water tanks visit or call the EPA on 1300 372 842.

Property owners who have had their water taken from dams or other private water supplies by DELWP or CFA can apply to have it replaced.

The request must be submitted within 3 months of the essential water being taken for bushfire fighting operations.

To make a request download and fill out the form found at and search for ‘public land recovery’

Email the completed form to

Health and wellbeing

Lifeline: 13 11 14

NURSE ON CALL: 1300 60 60 24 (24/7 hotline)

Parentline: 13 22 89

Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800

Steps to take if you’ve lost your home to fire

  • Contact power company for disconnection of service, stop account.
  • Contact gas company to recover gas bottles and stop account.
  • Contact East Gippsland water, stop account.
  • Contact Australia post to redirect or stop mail.
  • Contact council to adjust rates notice, no house or capital improvements.
  • Contact Insurance company, get registered.

Further Information


Level 1, 89 Raymond Street,
Sale, VIC 3850

PO Box 486
Sale, VIC 3853

P. (03) 5144 6744
F. (03) 5144 3945


126 Franklin Street,
Traralgon, VIC 3844

P. (03) 5174 1341
F. (03) 5176 0719

Send a Message

10 + 13 =

Pin It on Pinterest