NEW TOURISM ICON FOR METUNG FORESHORE
November 4, 2009
A local artist’s impression of one of the first passenger ships to Gippsland is set to become a new tourism icon on the Metung foreshore, according to The Nationals Member for Gippsland Darren Chester.
Nungurner artist Doug Hadaway has created a sculpture of the Charles Edward passenger ship, which came out from Scotland in 1864, and was on the first regular passenger route in 1865 from Melbourne to the Gippsland Lakes via Port Albert.
In those days the ships came in through the old entrance to the Gippsland Lakes.
Mr Chester caught up with Mr Hadaway to view the magnificent sculpture and congratulate the artist on his latest work.
The sculpture is to be erected before Christmas this year on the Metung foreshore near Shaving Point, overlooking Lake King.
“Doug has done an amazing job for the community. He has volunteered all of this own time and labor to create this for Metung and the thousands of visitors to the region,” Mr Chester said.
“He has been fortunate to receive some support from East Gippsland businesses but is still seeking some more sponsorship to cover the cost of materials.”
All sponsors who donate $500 or more will be listed on a permanent plaque at the foot of the sculpture to recognise the support of local businesses.
Mr Hadaway is a retired blacksmith who started dabbling in a bit of artwork while working in Melbourne many years ago.
Since retiring in Nungurner, he has more time to enjoy his artwork and now regularly enters art shows to display his achievements.